Birchmount

Index

New Eglinton

Danforth Garage

The Danforth Garage which stands just south of Danforth on the east side of Coxwell was officially closed on March 31, 2002 when the new Eglinton Garage opened is slated for demolition.  In fact, half of it has already been demolished.  The Danforth was a streetcar carhouse from its opening in September 1915 until February 1966 when its cars were transferred to Russell and the facility was closed for conversion to bus operation. The 60,000 sq. ft. garage opened on April 23, 1967. The main building included 1 wash rack, 1 diesel fueling station, 6 40-ft. hoists, and 8 inspection pit stations.  This garage served routes in downtown Toronto such as 75 and 94 as well as routes in the areas just east of downtown.

Here is a plan of Danforth garage.

The inactive Danforth Garage as seen from Hillingdon Avenue. Picture made June 5, 2004.

The remains of the Danforth Garage as seen from Coxwell Avenue.  The other half of the garage has already been demolished.

These are two aerial photographs of the Danforth garage.  The first was taken in 1964 and the second in 1992.

 

Birchmount

Index

New Eglinton