Russell

Index

Davisville

Wychwood (St. Clair) Carhouse

This carhouse is located on is located on Wychwood Ave. south of St. Clair. It was opened April 14, 1914 and consisted of 2 repair bays and 3 inspection bays.  In 1916, 3 more inspection bays were added.  6 more inspection bays were added in 1921. Over the years many of Toronto's streetcar routes operated out of this carhouse, but due to the streetcar abandonment policy of the 1960s and 1970s, by 1978 only the Bathurst and St.Clair streetcars were operating out of Wychwood.  At that time the TTC decided that keeping a carhouse for just two routes was not economically viable and so on April 15, 1978 all streetcars and personnel were transferred to the Roncesvalles carhouse.  The carhouse was completely disconnected from the rest of the system on October 31, 1991.  The property itself served as a final storage place for retiring PCCs and some trolleybuses, until in 1998 it was handed back to the city of Toronto. In January 2006,  the city approved a plan to convert the property into a commune for 26 low-income artistes. The construction should begin in summer of 2006 and be completed by spring 2008.

Here is a plan of the property and a floor plan of the carhouse.

These are two aerial photographs of the Wychwood Carhouse.  The first was taken in 1964 and the second in 1992.

The once far reaching St. Clair carhouse has deteriorated over the years into the state that it can be found in today. These pictures were taken on July 12, 2002.

On May 25, 2003, Wychwood Yard was open to the public because it was one of the buildings participating in the Doors Open Toronto event.  Here are pictures of the carhouse, its interior and its surroundings.

The switch that once connected Wychwood and St. Clair has been plugged.

View of the carhouse from Wychwood and Benson.

Track into nowhere at Wychwood and Helena.

The only tracks still leading into the carhouse at Wychwood and Benson.

View of the building from the southeast corner of the property.

The eastern  entrance into inspection bay 1. Built in 1913.

The eastern  entrance into inspection bay 2.  Built in 1916.

The eastern  entrance into inspection bays 3 and 4.  Built in 1921.

Repair bays A and B. (A on the left)

Repair bays A and B. (A on the right)

Inspection bays 1, 2 and 3. (1 on the left)

Inspection bays 4, 5 and 6. (4 on the right).

A look into the repair trough in bay 7.

Inspection bay 8.

Inspection bay 9.

Inspection bay 10.

A look at the repair trough in bay 10 from the inside. Wychwood Bay 10 trough.jpg (69320 bytes) Inspection bays 10 and 11. (10 on the right)

Inspection bay 11.

Inspection bay 12 is where the cars were washed.

Russell

Index

Davisville